Shimla truly lives up to its reputation with a diverse range of magnetism – natural splendors and artificial wonders. We furnish you with a summary of the must-visit places in the neighborhood. They will never fail to seduce you. You may be a honeymooner, a family holidaymaker, or a solo traveler. The place where you get to encounter the Himalayas in all their enigmatic glory! So, on your mark and get set, go.
1. The Ridge: The spot is a wide-open street that runs along Mall Road from east to west and connects it to the famous Scandal Point. It gives gorgeous views of the snow-capped mountain highlands that rise against the blue sky to edge this paradise of a destination. Padded with boutiques, cafes, bars, restaurants, and shops, the Ridge serves as the social hub in the region.
2. Jakhoo Hill and Temple: Wrapped in a blanket of alpine trees, Jakhoo Hill is the highest point of Shimla and offers scenic views of the snow-covered Shivalik Ranges and the sister town of Sanjauli. Positioned at the height of 8000 ft. above sea level, Jakhoo Hill is an ancient Hanuman temple that boasts of having the world’s tallest statue (108ft.) of this Hindu deity.
3. Mall Road: The place is a beaming location in this hill station and charms visitors of all ages. With plenty of cafes, restaurants, departmental stores, showrooms, and shops selling trinkets and exclusive handicraft works, this is one place where you can soak in the spirit of Shimla in all its touristy delights.
4. Kalka-Shimla Railway: The Kalka-Shimla train ride is a high point of Shimla tourism. Built-in 1898, this narrow-gauge railway has recently been added to UNESCO’s mountain railways of the India World Heritage Site. On the way, it stops at several tourist destinations, like Solan, Taradevi, Dharampur, Summer Hill, Salogra, and Barog, and various others. The ride will take you through no fewer than 864 bridges, 919 hooks, and 102 tunnels.
5. Kufri: A trip of around 40 minutes from the city center will bring you to Kufri, another must-visit place in the area. Located at an altitude of 8607 ft., this small hill station ensures you panoramic views of the encompassing snow-capped mountains. It allows training and facilities for exciting winter sports like ice skating and skiing. It is known as the winter sports capital of India.
6. Christ Church: Prominent landmarks Christ Church is the second oldest church in northern India and boasts outstanding architectural beauty. It is a striking example of the neo-Gothic style of architecture. It is located on the Ridge, with its origin back to 1857. It presents a picture of matchless beauty with stained glass windows, brass church bells, and arresting towers.
7. Kali Bari Temple: The temple boasts of architectural beauty, and religious significance in equal measures is believed to have been built in 1845. The place is devoted to Goddess Kali and houses a magnificent idol of the deity. Located very close to Mall Road, it is ideal for spending some serene moments connecting with your inner self.
8. Mashobra: This is a small town in Shimla that turns into heaven for winter game fans. The lush green region is covered with a glistening cover of snow that becomes an attractive base for skiing. Mashobra enchants visitors with a relaxed ambiance and lots of fun activities, minus the mob, a less crowded destination in the region.
9. Chadwick Falls: Nestled inside the Glen Forests, Chadwick Waterfall is one of the most pleasing sights that the universe has bestowed upon Shimla. The waterfall creates a dive from a height of 86 meters and cascades down a vast gorge. Surrounded by a sheet of greenery formed by the deodar and pine trees, it offers an enticing sight. The best time to hit it is during monsoons when the water level increases, and Chadwick seems to take on a life of its own.
10. Annandale: A low-lying terrain in the hilly base of Shimla, the destination is renowned for several sports, including polo, cricket, and racing. Annandale is surrounded by oak and deodar trees within a deep valley in the western part of Shimla.
11. Lakka Bazaar: The Lakka Bazaar is the place to go if you want to experience shopping from quaint stores and meet the amiable locals. The bazaar is located on the foothills of the Jakhoo Peak. It is an exciting place to spend a couple of hours in.